KENTUCKY LAW ALLOWS PEOPLE TO VOTE AT THE ELECTION CENTER PRIOR TO ELECTION DAY FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
- Voter will be outside the county on Election Day.
- Student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered who will be out of the county on Election Day.
- Voter who is a member of the Armed Forces or a dependent of a member of the Armed Forces and who will be out of the county on Election Day.
- Voter who is a member of the Armed Forces who will be confined to base within the county on Election Day and who learns of that confinement within 7 days or less of the election.
- Voter who is a citizen residing overseas and will be out of the county on Election Day.
- Voter or spouse of voter who has surgery scheduled that will require hospitalization on Election Day.
- Precinct Election Officer serving in a precinct other than that in which he is registered or an Alternate Precinct Election Officer.
- Member or any staff for the County Board of Elections; Any deputy county clerk; any staff for the State Board of Elections.
- FOR PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT ONLY: Moved to another state after its registrations books closed.
- A woman in her last trimester of pregnancy.
- KRS 117.088 – Pilot program for unassisted voting by blind and visually impaired persons.
If you would like to have an absentee ballot mailed to your home, you may request one for any of the following reasons:
- Person who due to age, disability, or illness will be unable to go to the polls on election day.
- Student who temporarily resides outside the county in which he/she is registered.
- Voter who temporarily resides outside the state but who is still eligible to vote in this state.
- Person incarcerated in jail who has been charged with a crime but has yet to be convicted of the crime.
- Person whose employment location requires him/her to be absent from the county all hours and all days absentee voting by machine is conducted.
- Military personnel confined to a military base on Election Day.
- Residents of Kentucky and their dependents that are members of the Armed Forces.
- Kentucky citizens residing overseas.
Absentee Ballot Application Forms can be requested in person, by phone, mail or email from:
Board of Elections
Urban Government Center
710 W. Ormsby Ave.
Louisville, Ky 40203
Applications can also be obtained at any branch office of the Jefferson County Clerk.